Nusle & Vinohrady loose ends



View Larger Map
Hello to all my enthusiastic followers. I would like to apologize for the long wait, to be honest I hadn't fully considered how much work would be involved when I started the blog at the beginning of this year, but also I am amazed at how much ground me and my SVG have covered. The information that we gathered for this week's blog for example took a whole weekend and frankly we were surprised at how much it took in but not as much surprised as we were when we saw the Orient Express passing over a rickety old bridge in the underbelly of Nusle and this is what makes us come out week after week, taking photos and discovering new and interesting things about our city even though my SVG is getting slower and slower (she won't like me telling you this bit of info) and bigger and bigger, she still insists on coming out and walking the walk. It is like a bug and very hard to explain, it has become a big part of our lives now and we will not stop until we finally completely colour in the whole map of the Prague district though I think that it will be solo mio in July and August unless someone in Prague would like to come out and get involved, if you do then just post a comment on the Facebook page and we can take it from there.
This week we covered the parts of Nusle and Vinohrady, which is already in 4 parts, that we had missed out, not due to our clumsiness but due to the unclear nature of the map and walking around those streets it was quite funny to be walking down a road which on one side was Vinohrady and on the other was Nove Mesto, but in those situations we just made a judgement call and this is what we found.

Review no. 1

I had been to this restaurant back in 2002 so I still had fond memories of it, because it was a good experience in a Czech restaurant and in 2002 the only Czech restaurants that I had visited were mainly in the centre and my opinion was not very high, so here we were again and because it was Czech I wanted to have the pickled hermelin but I went for another czech stalwart, the fried cheese and I even had a choice of hermelin, eidam and niva which is a typical czech blue cheese and was recommended to me by my SVG, but I wasn't feeling so adventurous, just the thought of deep fried blue cheese sends alarm bells ringing in my head and I went for the hermelin which is not the normal cheese of choice for a smazeny syr. I was not disappointed, the cheese was hot and gooey and the oil that it was cooked in was clean, which is a good indicator. The tartare sauce did come in a packet but that is the Czech way, not that Czech tartare sauce is anything like the tartare sauce that we used to serve with goujons of sole in the places that I worked but it compliments the fried cheese well. My SVG had green beans with dill and cream with mashed potatoes, all tasty, fresh and home made and would make any vegetarian happy. All in all the price was reasonable, the place felt very cosy and inviting and the waitress was very professional and we would go there again when looking to go Czech.






                                        Restaurant U Kaspara
                                      www.restaurantkaspar.cz

Quiz

This week we thought that we would make it a little more interesting by asking the people of Prague to recognize new and interesting places, so here is a newly opened restaurant in the Nusle area and it serves my favourite Czech beer Svijany so if you can tell me the name and address of this place, which has a bit of a nautical feel to it, and get a photo of yourself in the exact same pose, we, my SVG and myself will invite you out to dinner during one of our weekends discovering Prague. You can post your answer on the Facebook page and we will get back to the lucky and well informed winner.



Other places of interest

Books and wine                                      Tearoom

Baretta cafe                                 Greek specialties
www.baretta.cz/cafe                      www.reckepochoutky.cz

Violins' atelier                             American Retro Store
www.housle-vavra.cz                   www.route-66.cz

Airsoft shop                                Balance bikes
www.anareus.cz                          www.suego.cz


Comments